30th Street Pump Station

Home
Resume
Portfolio
Albums
Links

 

 
Back Up Next

30th Street Pump Station

    The 30th Street Pump Station on was bid gone bad. The estimate was transferred between two different people and items fell thru the cracks and were left out of the bid. We bid $60,000 and the next closest bid was $120,000. We took the job to save reputation. I was made Project Manager with the direction to try and not loose the other half of $60,000.
    I set out to find cost effective alternatives to what was in the specification and try to get them accepted by the engineer. The original design had an Allen Bradley PLC for control. To transfer status and commands back and forth with the main plant the I/O was mirrored to outputs/inputs that were wired into inputs/outputs on an RTU that was connected via lease-line modems to an RTU at the main plant. Then its outputs/inputs were wired to inputs/outputs in an AB RIO rack. I was able to get the engineer to accept removing the 'extra' cards from both AB PLC's and eliminating the RTU's and simply put a Prosoft communications module in each AB rack. I was able to save about $50,000 not just on PLC hardware costs but in panel size, number of terminals, configuration and testing to name a few.
    We had testing the communications in-house and everything worked great, but after the hardware installation was complete we tried to bring the communications up and could not get it to work. After four weeks of trying and bring in other specialists it was determined that US West was not providing us with what we had asked for, despite their constant insistence that they had, and we tried to get them to fix their problem. After another four weeks of working with US West to try and solve the problem we convinced the client that a dial-up connection that never hung-up was an easier and more cost effective solution. After receiving new modems we had communications up and fully tested in 24 hours. This did cost us an addition $10,000 in wasted time and parts that we were unable to recoup from US West.
    Although the project lost money I feel that it was a personal success. I have included the some panel and I/O drawings.
    As part of this project I also modified and added to their existing Intellution Fix32 HMI screens.


Drawing Package (.pdf 455k)